August 10th, 2021
The OrthoCarolina Research Institute (OCRI) will be well represented in San Diego as 20 studies are being presented as either a podium or poster at the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons’ (AAOS) Annual Meeting later this month. A total of 37 OCRI studies were submitted for consideration for the 2021 meeting, a feat in and over itself. But we, as an organization, are thrilled to have an over 50% acceptance rate for this conference.
Having such a high acceptance rate from a competitive national meeting is a testament to the timely and relevant research coming out of OrthoCarolina.
Those 20 studies span 5 OCRI subspecialties including, Foot and Ankle, Hand, Hip and Knee, Pediatrics, and Sports Medicine research.
Congratulations to everyone involved in the research projects below. This recognition is well deserved.
- Results of Two-Stage Revision for Chronic Periprosthetic Joint Infection with Minimum 5-year Follow Up: A Multicenter Study. Timothy Scott Brown, Claudio Diaz, Thomas Fehring, Kevin Garvin, Curtis Hartman, Beau Kildow, Julius Kunle Oni, Bryan Springer.
- Results of Debridement Antibiotics and Implant Retention for Periprosthetic Joint Infection with the Use of Intraosseous Antibiotics. Brian Curtin, Claudio Diaz, Keith Fehring, Thomas K. Fehring, Beau Kildow, Julius Oni, Jesse Otero, Shaun Patel, Bryan Springer.
- Failure to Optimize Prior to Total Knee Arthroplasty: Which Modifiable Risk Factor is the Most Dangerous? Douglas Dennis, Nicholas Johnson, Susan Odum, Jesse Otero, Joseph Statz.
- Results of Hallux Metatarsophalangeal Joint Arthrodesis With and Without Calcaneus Autofrapht. Anthony Barcel, Bruce Cohen, Hodges Davis, John Elllington, Fred Finney, Todd Irwin, Carroll Jones, David Richardson.
- Intraoperative and Early (90-day) Postoperative Complications and Associated Variables with Multiligamentous Knee Reconstruction. Michael Alaia, Derek Axibal, James Fleischli, Alexander Hysong, Gregory Maletis, Claude Moorman, Dana Piasecki, Bryan Saltzman, David Trofa, Nicholas Yeatts.
- Paper 402: Outcomes of Posterior Labral Repair with or without Concomitant High-Grade Glenohumeral Chondral Pathology: A Retrospective Cohort with Minimum 2-Year Follow Up. Keith Corpus, James Fleischli, Nady Hamid, Dana Piasecki, Richard Ryu, Bryan Saltzman, Gregory Scarola, Shadley Schiffern, David Trofa, Brian Waterman, Bradley Young.
- Paper 510: Failure to Medically Optimize Increases Complications after Primary Total Hip Arthroplasty. Paul Duwelius, Curtis Hartman, Nicholas Johnson, Susan Odum, Jesse Otero, Joseph Statz.
- Paper 703: Complications after Acute Distal Triceps Tears: An Analysis of 107 Cases. Samuel Ford, Glenn Gaston, Bryan Loeffler, David Macknet, Ryan Mak, Joshua Sykes, Matthew Teusink.
- Paper 718: Predicting Return to Work after Carpal Tunnel Surgery. Christopher Chadderdon, Matthew Delarosa, John Gaul, Risa Reid, Tobias von Bergen.
- P0049: Does Surgical Approach or Intraoperative Imaging have the Greatest Effect on Component Position Accuracy in Total Hip Arthoplasty? Thomas K. Fehring, Nicholas Johnson, John Masonis.
- P0161: The Prevalence of Depression and Posttraumatic Stress Disorders in Adults with Traumatic Upper Extremity Amputations. Samuel Cohen-Tanugi, Glenn Gaston, Bryan Loeffler, Risa Reid.
- P0057: Complications in the Treatment of Periprosthetic Joint Infection after Total Hip Arthroplasty: When Do They Occur? Maria Cuadra, William Griffin, Katherine Li, Jesse Otero, Bryan Springer.
- P0264: Radiologist Overreads of Intraoperative Radiographs: Value or Waste? Jeffrey James Barry, Matthew Braswell, Brian Curtin, Keith Fehring, Thomas K. Fehring, John Martin, Shaun Patel.
- P0141: Mortality and Conversion Rate to Below Knee or Above Knee Amputation following Transmetatarsal Amputation. Anthony Barcel, Hodges Davis, John Ellington, Samuel Ford, Todd Irwin, Carroll Jones, Susan Odum, Taylor Rowe, Jefferson Sabatini.
- P0142: Fusion Rates of Ankle Arthrodesis with Anterior Plate Fixation Based on Computerized Tomography and Clinical Outcomes. Bruce Cohen, Hodges Davis, John Ellington, Todd Irwin, Carroll Jones, Philip Kaiser.
- P0049: Does Surgical Approach or Intraoperative Imaging have the Greatest Effect on Component Position Accuracy in Total Hip Arthroplasty?. Thomas K. Fehring, Nicholas Johnson, John Masonis, Susan Odum, Sarah Pierrie, Michael Ruffolo.
- P0661: Obtaining the Requisite Signals to Allow Independent Digital Control of a Myoelectric Prosthesis with the Starfish Procedure. Glenn Gaston, Bryan Loeffler, Casey Sabbag.
- P0944: Total Joint Arthroplasty and Golf Play: Analysis of a State-Wide Golf Handicap Database. Jacob Gorbaty, Nady Hamid, Allison Rao, Katherine Roberts, Bryan Saltzman, Dax Varkey.
- P0929: Clinical and Radiological Outcomes after Meniscal Root Repair: A Case Series with Prospective Follow Up. James Fleischli, John Ruder, Bryan Saltzman, Bradley Young.
- P0916: A Comparison of Patient-Reported and Clinical Outcomes following Fibular and Combined Tibial-Fibular-Based Reconstruction of the Posterolateral Corner of the Knee: A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis. James Fleischli, Claude Moorman, Dana Piasecki, Allison Rao, Bryan Saltzman, David Trofa, Nicholas Yeatts.
Instructional Course Lectures Schedule
- How to Keep from Getting in Over Your Head in Revision Total Knee Arthroplasty. Thomas K. Fehring
- Cemented Femoral Stem Fixation: Back to the Future. Bryan Springer
- Periprosthetic Joint Infection of the Knee: Contemporary Diagnosis and Management. Bryan Springer